Kiev May 23-24, 2019

London 2019
Register | Agenda| Exhibit

Register by
November 24
and save $540!

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:13 am

Dating Industry and Matchmaking Industry Forums

Business Message Board for the Dating, Online Personals, Social Dating, Mobile Dating, Dating Affiliate and Matchmaking Industry

All times are UTC

Bookmark This Topic   Delicious   Digg   Reddit   Furl   Facebook   Technorati

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it appears I was wrong, and I stand corrected.

Userplane appears by no means gone, by my previous post.

The company has revamped its website, has new products and new offers and clearly is looking to be competitive in this market.

The state of affairs 4-5 months ago appeared to have painted a dim picture for the company. But that appears to have been a temporary stopgap.

Kudos to the firm for sticking it out. Some of your competitors have turned tail. Others have shown a willingness to be more agressive with the market.

It should be an interesting period to see how the market responds.

Marc Lesnick
Conference Organizer
Match Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:14 pm 
Active-iDate-User

The free version of Userplane is going away November 6th. They will offer a lower, all services acccess pricing after that date.

Meanwhile, Toksta has renamed to Stickapps.com and is selling the entire company for a little over $100k.

Its not so difficult to create an instant messaging system in-house these days. So the value of having a third party hosting and running this component is diminishing.

USA 212-444-1636, UK 020-8133-1835

Post subject: Mr Jones
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:04 am 
Active-iDate-User

I guess Michael got out of it just in time. I heard he sold it for a few million to AOL a couple years ago. Lucky him!

Post subject: Online Date Conference
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Michael leaving I don't think is related to the company's latest decisions.

He was on for 2 years after the sale. According to the news 'under the table,' he was very much in charge of the company with AOL leaving hands off.

As in my previous post, once Michael left, AOL appears to have more control. Combining that with the financial crisis that began September 2008, AOL made some significant spending cuts across the board, and Userplane was equally affected.

The thread was concerned about the division of the company as a going concern. But it is apparent the company has not been eliminated from the market.

Userplane had originally a product offer free with unlimited users with a revenue model based on advertising. Removal of that may indicate the model did not work.

I have looked at Userplane's new pricing for their WebChat software. Its free for up to 9 users online. That is, 9 people can engage in chat at once. After that, the next level is 10 users at once, which is $130 per month for the webmaster ($1560 annually). The pricing may not be clear, but the way I read it, 11-25 users is $275 per month ($3300 Annually). In my dealings with webmasters with such low user levels, these prices would appear prohibitive to them.

The highest level they offer is 500 simultaneous users, which is $2750/month ($33,000 Annually). I am not sure this is enough users for a site like Plenty of Fish, which probably would have many more users online than 500.

The market will be very interesting. There are several companies offering services for free. Events of late spring 2009 engaged the online dating community with some concerns over their suppliers. No one can deny it, Chat software in Online Dating is currently a new market. So this should be a very interesting space to watch.

Marc Lesnick
Conference Organizer
Online Date Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Conversation continued

HERE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2