Florida January 24 - 26, 2018
Register | Agenda| Exhibit

Los Angeles Summer 2018

Register by
September 27
and save £ 250!

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:10 am

Dating Industry and Matchmaking Industry Forums

Business Message Board for the Dating, Online Personals, Social Dating, Mobile Dating, Dating Affiliate and Matchmaking Industry

All times are UTC

Bookmark This Topic   Delicious   Digg   Reddit   Furl   Facebook   Technorati

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Admin

I stumbled on an article in Information week on something called Carrier IQ.

This is important and you need to know this.

1) Carrier IQ is installed on virtually every Android Phone.
2) It runs in the background. Its well hidden and you can not stop or remove it.
3) The BAD PART: It KEYLOGS EVERYTHING YOU DO ON THE PHONE and I mean everything. Not just for simple storage for a crash records, but as you do things it TRANSMITS the information to another server. As in, an app you download and install can sniff all this info from your phone.
Everything?
-Numbers you call
-SMS you receive and send (all the text and images)
-Websites / USERNAMES & PASSWORDS, including https secure transaction sites
-Records your voice.
-Images you take on the camera.
'Nuff said?

Now that you understand that. This video is clear proof on what is installed on the phone. See for yourself if you have a Droid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo

The online dating industry is in the data collection business and we understand how valuable that is. But this is the largest invasion of privacy I have ever seen.

I would not be surprised if it could 'listen in' when the phone is not in use. I knew the Feds could do this with land phones since the 1960's. That is they can let the microphone on a phone transmit sound from the room even though the phone was hung up. But this is a whole new level of invasion of privacy.

Marc Lesnick
Conference Organizer
Internet Dating Conference

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

According to today's Information Week article, Carrier IQ is denying they are violating Federal Wiretap laws.

Quote:
According to Carrier IQ, while its smartphone monitoring applications see smartphone data--to assess what is or isn't pertinent to monitoring the performance of the smartphone or the network that it uses--that isn't the same as recording or transmitting that data. "While a few individuals have identified that there is a great deal of information available to the Carrier IQ software inside the handset, our software does not record, store, or transmit the contents of SMS messages, email, photographs, audio, or video," according to Carrier IQ. "For example, we understand whether an SMS was sent accurately, but do not record or transmit the content of the SMS. We know which applications are draining your battery, but do not capture the screen."

Thanks nice: Watch the video above. The screen in the background is showing everything Carrier IQ is doing on the phone. You can see it with your own eyes. They didn't mention anything in their statement about https sites, passwords, credit cards, etc.....

IT Leader Jonathan Feldman in his December 1 article calls Carrier IQ the "greatest violation of Enterprise trust."

This issue can blow up in the face of the carriers that engage in this. I am seeing Carrier IQ is under serious pressure from netziens about what they are doing.