Everyone gets nervous the first time they attend a business reception because they may not know how to approach and meet people, and this makes them uneasy to the point where they decide not to go. What they don’t know is that, with a little planning, they can get there and turn it into the best night ever, one that may change their lives for good! Here is how:
1. The first thing is to decide to go. Mark the date and start thinking about your wardrobe and the image you want to give. Practice the attitude you want to face the crowd with and be bold.
2. Think about what you want to achieve by attending this event and what is the best thing that could happen to you. Maybe you can make new contacts, learn something new, improve your self-confidence, or just have fun.
3. Do not forget your business cards! If you do not have any, make some for the event. When you receive one from someone, on the back, write where you met the person and some key notes about him or her and what he or she does.
4. Greet and talk to everyone. Forget about appearances, if someone is there, it is certain that they have something that could benefit you, and that is why you are there. Introduce yourself and ask them why they are there and how they learned about the reception. Invest around fifteen minutes per person, turn off your phone and be present.
5. Share your knowledge. Start interesting conversations, talk about yourself and make contributions on different topics. Beforehand, take the time to make a list of interesting topics you can talk about, like great restaurants, recipes you like, cool technology, funny anecdotes, or even a joke (but only if you are good at telling them!).
Approaching a business reception with a purpose and a positive attitude will guarantee your success. We are all capable of contributing, thus, allow yourself to open up and share, you never know who you will meet!
If you liked this article, tell all your friends about it. They’ll thank you for it. If you have a blog or website, you can link to it or even post it to your own site (don’t forget to mention Meeting Wave as the original source). Have a great day!
Don’t forget to check out our blog.